Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Settling In

It is the dawn of Day 5 in Capstick Cottage, and we are still doing lots of hunting and gathering, though not of the deer, berries, and nuts sort.  We are hunting and gathering furniture and household appliances of all sizes. 

We found someone selling an American-style refrigerator and had it delivered to our house last night.  American-style here meant "the biggest fridge/freezer we've ever seen," and there was no way it was fitting through the door into our utility room.  Therefore, a second, more modest American-style fridge/freezer should be on its way and be delivered tonight.  I may also be getting a washing machine, so that is very exciting news, too. 

In other more important news, we've made a good beginning on meeting people in Boroughbridge.  So far my best conversation starters are my accent (I'm obviously not from around here.) and my American-style credit card.  Even when I use my new British debit card I usually have to ask for help about the direction I put it in the machine. 

Those are a few little updates, but the real purpose of this blog post was to write down something James said to me last night at bedtime, leaning in close, "Let me whisper something in your ear." 

"What is it?"

"You're a genius."


I will keep him forever, or at least until he grows up and leaves me.

2 comments:

  1. That you are. :):) What a preciously delightful boy who adores his practically amazing mother.

    And a big HOORAY for appliances! Especially big ones!

    We love our family - HAPPY THANKSGIVING! You will be missed around the table. Maybe we can skype :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling is a great way to meet new people, and get to know their culture. I hope your experience in Boroughbridge gave you a chance to do just that. I'm sure settling in a 1750's English cottage was a fun new experience as well. Thanks for sharing that! All the best! :)

    Clay Delgado @ World Packaging Co., Inc.

    ReplyDelete