Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ella's First Trip to Narnia, part 2

I think Ella is probably following in my footsteps, preferring to do the reading herself rather than be read to, but I'm still reserving the right to do some reading aloud to her.


Last night we came to the chapter where Aslan gives himself in Edmund's stead to the White Witch.  I wondered how Ella would respond and how it would make her feel.

"I don't think he's dead," she said.

"Why not?"

"I don't know...because."

I smiled, because I understood.  How could he be dead?  Anybody could die, but not him.  Your heart holds out hope, despite what you're being told.

And I thought of John in the cometary at Sherlock's grave, "Just work one more miracle. Just...don't be dead."

And I thought about the disbelief of the disciples and the two men on the road to Emmaus, "But we were hoping that it was He that was going to redeem Israel."  If they hadn't seen it with their eyes, they wouldn't have believed it could happen, all their hopes dashed.

"It was as if the good times, having just begun, were already drawing to their end."

And then Susan and Lucy heard a voice, and Ella said, "Who is it???"

"I told you!" Ella cried. 

The worst thing that could happen, happened, and then it was undone.

"...and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore..." Revelation 1:18

1 comment: