Friday, March 8, 2013

Franco-Fridays: Movies set in Paris

I've already confessed that my thoughts and feelings about a place are heavily influenced by books and movies.  When I started thinking about the movies I've watched most often that take place in Paris, I realized that most of them involve Audrey Hepburn.  Maybe it was because she spoke French?  Maybe it was the way she always looked so beautiful and classy in a dress that made her the perfect inhabitant of such a fashionable city.  

In no particular order, the movies that came to mind were...

Charade

I take it back.  This one came to mind first because it is one of my favorites.  I first saw it with KJ on the second week of our honeymoon when we were staying with his grandparents at the lake.  It was the beginning of a year or more of infatuation with every movie Cary Grant was in.  He's so classy and also hilarious.  This movie is scary, suspenseful, and delightful.  It also makes me want to eat ice cream while walking by the Seine and take a dinner cruise down the same.  In addition, Charade does a shower scene right.



How to Steal a Million ranks not far behind Charade.  It's full of witty dialogue, thievery, and Peter O'Toole.  Win-win...win!

 "Then you came along in your nighty and shot me!"
[saying that in Peter O'Toole's voice is fun]

Funnyface.  Oh, Funnyface...you bring back memories of Ella Bella at what...14 months old?  She was so little, and this was one of her favorite movies.  I remember her sitting in her highchair eating lunch, and when Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn start dancing in the dark room, Ella started bouncing up and down impatiently, "Dance!  Dance!"  She loved to dance along with them. She and James still love to watch this movie and sing, "Bonjour, Paris!"  

    
 You might find me greeting Paris in exactly this manner.

Indirectly related to Paris and causing this transformation in Sabrina:


And then of course, a movie without Audrey Hepburn but supplying us with one of the most-famed movie lines ever, Casablanca.  

  "We'll always have Paris."

KJ and I have said versions of this for years.  Lately it's been, "We'll always have England."  But now, for future years, when anything sad happens, we can look at each other and say, "We'll always have Paris."  And there will be something quite satisfying about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment