Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Let's start the new year right..."

The past eight new years have started with me celebrating the birth of my husband, and excepting the first year we were married, I don't often feel like I do a good enough job of celebrating him.  Especially after having Ella, and when we lived 7 hours away from family, a week's worth of traveling and Christmas celebrating usually left me worn out and waiting until the last minute to remember I hadn't bought him a birthday present.  Poor holiday children.  

Over the past 3-4 years I've tried to be more prepared.  I got sick this past Saturday and am afraid I went to Target with a fever on Sunday in order to prepare for his big day.  I don't normally like to spread my germs, but it wasn't intentionally done, poor person who might have caught my cold from using my buggy.  

But Sunday afternoon I had my big idea:  30 presents for 30 years!  This actually proved a little more difficult than I expected, trying not to spend too much money, but also trying to buy things he really did enjoy and/or need.  I think I succeeded pretty well.  He got a mixture of fun gifts, his favorite treats, favorite meals, and acts of service from me and the kids.  He got to open one present an hour starting at 6 p.m. on New Year's Eve.
James was very upset to learn that these were not his presents; thus, you have the tears in the first two pictures.  He was a very enthusiastic helper for the rest of the present-opening experience, though. 

But before our family celebrations, we re-convened with church family and friends at CiCi's Pizza on Sunday night to celebrate the man of the hour.  I really didn't feel good, but the thermometer was giving me mixed results before we left, so I went ahead, but I definitely had a fever when we got home.  Yuck.


 The Newlyweds!


 "Fifty is the new thirty."

There were others I didn't snag a picture of...fever fog?...but we were so grateful for those who were able to come and celebrate the beginning of KJ's third decade. 

Last night I set the table with the best china, and we had a dinner party.  It might have been the china...and a sippy cup with a straw or two, but it was all made very elegant by having the Downton Abbey soundtrack playing in the background.


 Happy New Year, and happy birthday, to KJ!

3 comments:

  1. You are so creative! Doesn't Boots look beautiful in that picture you took? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a wonderful wife, sweet Lynn. Again, Happy 30th, K.J.!

    We miss you all so much already, but we're smiling with thanksgiving for our great memories!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete