Friday, July 8, 2011

My Native Land

Last night I spent some time looking through a friend's pictures from their trip to the United Kingdom and Paris.  Have I mentioned I'm going there?  I'm going.  At every amazing glimpse of Scottish countryside, Parisian architecture, and famous London landmark, I became more and more excited, entering into a state of complete unbelief that I am REALLY going.  Really.  At least, the plane tickets have been purchased.  So, as far as I know, I'm going.


And although I know I will look every bit the tourist, gasping and exclaiming at every new wonder, taking thousands upon thousands of pictures, I'm not going to really FEEL like a tourist.    I'm going to feel like I've come home.  I have been to these places in my imagination and in my heart over and over again since the time I was a little girl.  


I explored manor houses and the moor and learned about a Yorkshire accent with Mary Lennox.  I walked the foggy streets of London with poor Sara Crewe.  I learned from Edmund Pevensie that Brits call a flashlight a "torch."


As a teenager I learned about good King Richard and Prince John in Ivanhoe, I was shocked to find that Sherlock Holmes used cocaine, and I stood beneath the Tower of London with Charles Darnay.  I learned what a dangerous thing it can be to stay at a manor house over the weekend, unless you're Hercule Poirot of course.  I solved mysteries with Miss Marple and reveled in the story of David Copperfield.  


In my first year of marriage I visited Derbyshire and the Peaks and learned all about entailment.  I finally understood that Colonel Brandon was a much more worthy hero than the scoundrel, Willoughby, and learned all about the coastal towns of Ramsgate, Brighton, and Lyme.  I rejoiced when Heathcliff was finally dead and couldn't torment people anymore.  I was infuriated by the unfair treatment of poor Jane Eyre and fell in love with her Mr. Rochester right along with her.  I walked the Dales with James Herriot and laughed over those Yorkshire farmers.  


In short, there's not many places in the United Kingdom that don't bring to my mind a cast of characters, stories, and emotions.  Those three paragraphs are but the tip of the iceberg, and they don't even touch the historical references.  Oh, England, how I love thee.  I can't believe my feel will finally stand on your soil.  


What are your favorite British characters and places???

2 comments:

  1. Everything that you said is exactly how I felt when we were there. I know JC had to have rolled his eyes numerous times at how giddy I was, with random squeals as we were driving (on the wrong side of the road) through the countryside. It really is amazing to see the places you've imagined in all the stories. And it really is as beautiful as I pictured, if not more so. :-) I am so excited for you guys, that you'll be able to finally experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lynn, I'm so happy for you that you're GOING!!! I felt exactly the same. And when you hear a Brit say "Cheers" to the bus driver for the first time or a lady in the shop call you "luv," you'll know you're really THERE. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. =) If you get in the vicinity of Cambridge, PLEASE let me know...I'd love for some of my Christian Brit-friends to get to meet you!

    ReplyDelete