Saturday, March 14, 2020

The Best Way to Make Sure Your Kids Entertain Themselves

Coronavirus Captivity is upon us all, and it lends itself to journal-style writing, which I intended to do more of this month.  I could tell at the end of February these "social-distancing" measures were needed to stop rampant spread, and it honestly just feels like a relief to have the government here announce increasing measures.  One big decision saves me from having to continue making a thousand small decisions about whether or not I should take public transportation or go to a highly-trafficked place.  I have close contact with a nearly 94-year-old, so I need to keep away from exposure if I can.

No More Train Rides for Awhile

I've seen a lot of people asking questions about what to do with their kids while they're home.  My best advice is to make an agenda like you're a homeschooling parent, and as soon as you have a plan of activities ready for the day, you'll find your kids magically playing together without fighting, using their imaginations and their time constructively.  Back out of the room slowly, and leave them alone.  

But seriously, I don't know how many times that phenomenon happened to me.  As surely as I didn't have anything planned there would be much fighting and sighing about how bored they were.  As soon as I felt prepared for the day they didn't need my input.  

Blast from the Past, when they created a Quiet Corner

Other ideas include:

  • Legoes - If you have a big collection it's fun to look online for different ideas of things you can build besides the original use.  Sometimes my kids like taking things apart and rebuilding them or repairing big things that have lost pieces along the way.
  • Art for Kids Hub is fantastic!
  • YouTube in general has so much great content.  We really love watching Crash Course.    I'd give the caveat that content might not always be appropriate for younger viewers.
  • Blanket Forts - Letting them make a giant blanket fort often leads to a lot of creative play or reading inside.  Kids love making cozy secret spaces.
  • Baking - Someone on Instagram reminded me it was Pi day today, so that's as good a reason as any to get in the kitchen.  One thing we used to do each Friday in England was to have "Cafe School."  This meant we baked something and made hot chocolate and did our history lesson or read aloud around the table with treats.
  • Reading Aloud - Letting kids color, play with stickers or other small toys while you read something funny aloud can be really fun.  Now that E's older she's been working on a cross-stitching project during read-alouds.  My brother-in-law reads But, I Still Had Feet to all the cousins at Christmas time, and they roar with laughter.
  • Going for a walk or neighborhood bike ride burns off energy.  
  • Watercoloring - Throw out the plastic tablecloth, and let them at it.
  • Quiet Time - The best benefit of having structured time in the morning is everyone is usually more willing to have quiet reading or movie time in the afternoon, and you can have a break, too.
  • A Backyard Picnic - If the weather is nice, it makes lunchtime more fun.
I hope everyone stays well and happy at home as you love your family and love your neighbor.  Stay safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment