Monday, March 16, 2020

Spring Break, Pandemic Style

Today is quiet and cloudy.  K.J. is working on his short story in the attic, E is in her room listening to music and drawing and painting, and J is following in his father's footsteps of writing a book while listening to music with his earbuds in.  This is followed by episodes of Leave it to Beaver.

Many parents are taking up the homeschooling mantle today, but I'm laying it down this week.  E and I had plans to leave for a girls' trip in the south of England today to celebrate the milestone birthday of one of her friends.  To ease the pain of cancelling our trip I told the kids this week could be spring break.  Instead of showing my daughter Jane Austen's house this week, I'm reading her words instead.



Social media tells me there are lines outside grocery stories in Paris, and I'm grateful I shopped earlier.  I get my Little House on the Prairie feeling planning out ways to make our milk lasts as long as possible.  I'm feeling hyper-aware of social contact as we try to be a good friend and neighbor to Noreen while also protecting her health.  

Yesterday afternoon K.J. and I had a little Bible study with her.  I brought over my Baptist Hymnal, and we had the sweetest time singing Jesus, Lover of My Soul, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, In the Garden, No Not One, and Rejoice, the Lord is King.  I'll never forget it (and to make sure I don't, I'm writing it down here).  After Jesus, Lover of My Soul, N turned to us joyfully and said, "That's a good funeral song, in'it?"  

It lifted my worries just to sing, "Jesus knows all about our struggles; he will guide 'til the day is done:  There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus:  no, not one!  no, not one!"  I've missed the hymns I grew up singing.



I'm not allowing myself to check headlines again until the French president addresses the nation again tonight.  

What words are giving you hope in the midst of this crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment