Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Nearly a Decade of Blogging: A List, A Recipe, A Quote

At the end of this month it will be ten years since I started recording our lives in this internet space.  I had a 3-year-old daughter and a 5-month old son.  Just writing that sentence makes that time feel so long ago!  So much indeed has changed in 10 years.  My teenager was three!

My kiddoes and my brother in my second blog post

I woke up every morning and wrote about the previous day journal-style.  Writing things down helped me know my own thoughts before the swirl of childcare began, and I'm so happy I have a record of those years, because now of course, they've disappeared.  I think I might try writing with the same kind of rhythm this month in honor of the way I wrote 10 years ago and with the knowledge that this season of life will also disappear, and in another decade I'll have a 23-year-old daughter and a 20-year-old son, learning to take on the world on their own.  

So what did I do yesterday?  

  • I did an indoor walking/jogging in place workout DVD because it was raining.
  • I helped J and E with their respective grammar lessons, labeling all the parts of speech.  As with learning anything else, the only way to finally learn how to find direct objects and subordinating conjunctions is to dissect sentences daily.  I'm finally starting to remember.
  • I learned more about how the periodic table is organized with Ella.  I'll probably wait to tell her about the time a friend and I burned our Chemistry notes at the end of the year, because it was the hardest class we'd ever taken.  I was 17 and dramatic, I guess.  (I should probably continue to remember my own teenage drama as I try to parent through my daughter's.)
  • I spent a good amount of time at the grocery store stocking up on food so I can avoid going to the store as COVID-19 starts to spread.  It felt like preparing for a siege against an invisible enemy.  
  • I made the Barefoot Contessa's Fresh Pea Soup.  I love it so much.  It's scrumptious.

  • I took soup to Noreen and let her dogs climb in my lap and chatted about the royal family, what it was like meeting the queen and the big uproar when Edward VIII abdicated the throne.  
  • I washed a lot of dishes and washed my hands a lot.  
  • I kissed my husband.  
It was a good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment