Saturday, August 22, 2015

This Week's Favorites (or Favourites, depending on where you live)

Katie and the Starry Night - I picked up this book at the library to read to James, and it was so lovely!  James colored a picture of The Starry Night at school this year, so I thought he would enjoy this tale of a little girl stepping into several of Van Gogh's paintings.  He did, and I did, too.  Plus, the Amazon link tells me there are books about the Impressionists and Monet as well!  I like the idea of giving the kids fun connections with these paintings because when they see them again there's a point of recognition and a fond memory.  And let's be honest, I really enjoy connecting art with stories.  It means so much more to me then, too.



Sonlight Curriculum Arriving! - It came right in the middle of our summer break, but it's really hard not to get excited about a huge box of books arriving at your front door.  



Because of the timing of our move last year we didn't use a curriculum plan, but I pieced together different things.  When I started looking into things for this school year I wasn't sure if I would continue with Sonlight since we're only at home half the time, but Ella got so excited looking at curriculum, and I got really excited seeing that she was due to start American History this year.  And what wins me over every time with Sonlight is the PLAN and all the wonderful books.  I think those things win Ella over, too.  

Whipped Cream in My Coffee - I actually only did this once, but it was really nice.  Someone left a can of "squirty cream" with me, and I happened to see it yesterday and think, "That would top off my coffee quite well."  And it did.

Capstick's Roses - This may not be completely true, but I feel like I've never really smelled roses before this summer.  As we've been out in a few gardens this summer, you can round a corner and all of a sudden this lovely scent fills the air, and whenever I catch a moment to sit in the swing at Capstick it fills the air, too.  Are they more fragrant here, or am I just literally stopping to smell them more often?



The Reasons James Feels Anguished about Growing Older

"I don't wanna grow up because then I won't like games as much."
"I don't really wanna grow up because I may not get as many presents."



I told him that Daddy is grown up and still likes games, so maybe that reassured him on that point a little, and as for the presents, I think he'll discover like all of us that we care less about presents somehow.  Or the best presents come in different forms.  What are some things you've enjoyed this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment