Friday, July 4, 2014

Franco Fridays: July 4th Edition




In honor of both Independence Day and Franco Fridays I started thinking of a quote I'd heard from Alexis de Toqueville's, Democracy in America, written in the 1830s.  While searching for the quote I was thinking of, I found this one instead.

Now that I am drawing to the close of this work,
in which I have spoken of so many important things
done by the Americans, to what the singular prosperity
and growing strength of that people ought mainly
to be attributed, I should reply:
To the superiority of their women.

I'm not sure if he was serious or just being a flattering Frenchman, but that made me laugh.

I was actually looking for this:

Not until I went into the churches of America
and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness
did I understand the secret of her genius and power.
America is great because she is good,
and if America ever ceases to be good,
she will cease to be great. 

Happy Independence Day everyone!

P.S.  I've been trying a free trial month of reading on Oyster Books, which is a little bit like Netflix but with books.  They have a growing library of 500,000 titles, a lot of which you probably wouldn't want to read, but I've been accumulating a good growing reading list, and I'm really enjoying it!  I just added Democracy in America to my list, and if you want to give the app a try, use my link, and we'll both get a $15 credit. They've got a great selection of C.S. Lewis and lots of Disney books for the kids, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment