Friday, April 4, 2014

Franco Fridays: The Backdrop of a Rescue Mission

Today I thought I'd just share some of the scenery along the road as we drove through Normandy.  

We left Honfleur and traveled toward the D-Day beaches after stopping first at the beach right outside of Honfleur.  I gathered some shells for Ella.  It was a gorgeous day.

One of the things that struck me as we neared the beaches of the D-Day invasion was the peaceful country landscape all around, some of it within a stone's throw of the beaches.  The Spring beauty seemed to be in such stark opposition to the horrific things played out just a few miles away.



I read a little bit of a book about the days leading up to D-Day, and it was fascinating.  This place of blossoming apple trees was the backdrop where frightened people lived under German occupation, where the brave French Resistance had a secret network of communication with the Allies.




My favorite story was of a really young woman from England parachuting in before the invasion.  Her bravery was impressive.

It really felt like an honor to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment