Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Reminiscing, a morning walk

I woke up this morning wanting to linger over a few pictures from our time in Cumbria.  I shared some small pictures while we were there, but the beauty deserves a little more detail.  We stayed the night with a sweet couple, and KJ went out to a men's prayer meeting with pastors in the area, while I went on a morning walk with our hostess.  I was excited when she mentioned a walk, because...well, it's just so very English. 

We had arrived in Cumbria after dark the night before so we didn't realize how beautiful of a spot we were in.  We walked out of her neighborhood and were greeted by grazing cows.



It was a really breezy morning with the wind coming in big gusts, a far cry from the 80 degree weather we'd left behind at home.

Once we got on the public footpath, I caught my first glimpse of the Hoad Monument, not knowing we'd have a chance to climb the hill later that day.  It took my breath away.  It's a really nice landmark for the town of Ulverston.

It was also one of those days when it vacillated between sunny and cloudy....aaannnddd I stepped in dog mess.  But I didn't let it get me down.

Ulverston used to be a busy port long ago, and we passed a canal that helps channel water from the bay.  There were still a few swans about.


By the time we reached Morecambe Bay it was dazzling in the morning light.  Everywhere you looked on this trip, you were blown away by beauty.

 Our new friend, Allison, on "her" bench
She said she felt a little "put out" when she found someone else there. :)

We watched a couple of trains go by that will eventually get you to London.
After enjoying the view for a bit we began the 20-minute walk back to the house and tea and a biscuit.

 

It was a pretty pleasant way to start a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment