Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday's Flashback: Pulteney Bridge and Jane Austen's House

First, I found a few more pictures of the Pump Room that I missed in the last post.  I really like the first one.


When I was researching places to see in Bath, I was most excited about Pulteney Bridge.  I thought it was so pretty, and it's unique as one of the few bridges in the world with shops built into it.  And what could be more English than a bridge over the River Avon?

 view of a park bordering the River Avon on the way to the bridge


 The Star of the Show
Isn't it lovely?

We walked across the bridge admiring the shops and stopping at one to order paninis and crisps for dinner.  We also stopped at the window of this antique map store.  I don't think we could have afforded any of the treasures inside, but my husband does love a map.


  View from beneath the Bridge
The British are very exact at making lovely "prospects."


We decided to take our sandwiches back to the square beside Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths.  A street musician sat playing his guitar and tourists rested on benches surrounding the square.  I guess I was too busy eating my tomato and mozzarella panini to take a picture.  I got tomato on my white shirt.  I think that stain is still there, a stain made in England, a most romantic stain for sure.  KJ and I had a good conversation as we ate and watched a young girl dance in the square to the music.  We felt embarrassed for her when she tripped and fell.  I found it interesting how much the people of Bath appreciated those who entertained in the square.  There was a plaque dedicated to one of them who died on a bench beside us.  You can see a small picture of where we ate on this blog.  I happened upon it the other day.  It's the last picture of the post, and we sat on the bench to the right of the trash can.

After we ate we walked back to the car park and drove to one last important historic site.


 I just loved the red ivy climbing here.

 I love this picture.
I took it through the window of the car while we were at a light.
I wonder if this is where we were when we received our ticket?
Yes, a few weeks after we got home we got a ticket in the mail for driving in a bus lane.  I meant to scan it and show you.  Monday.

 Number 4, Sydney Place
The Austen family spent most of their time in Bath in these lodgings.

 Imagine how many times she walked up and down those steps and down that walkway.  

 Love that knob.

Farewell, Bath.

1 comment:

  1. You might want to rearrange the sentence, "There was a plaque dedicated to one of them who died on a bench beside us." I laughed aloud when I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete