Friday, December 17, 2010

Power Outage

Our electricity was out for several hours on Wednesday.  I'm glad it was during the day, and I am thankful we have a fireplace that runs on natural gas.  We would have been quite cold without it.  Here are a few things you can and cannot do when your power is out.  


You can't boil water for oatmeal (and everyone knows how
 gross cold oatmeal is),but you can steal Froot Loops 
out of the pantry and help yourself.

You can't watch television, but you can watch movies on the 
portable dvd player...until the battery charge runs out of course.

You can't play the Wii, but you can 
play a couple of rounds of Chutes and Ladders.

You can't vacuum, but you can sweep and mop.

You can gaze into the flickering flames...
even if you can't touch them.

Most of all, you make memories.


3 comments:

  1. I hate when the power goes out. But the fire place really comes to the rescue in those situations!! My mom always made our oatmeal with hot water from the sink instead of boiling so essentially it was cold. Now none of us like heated oatmeal! Which would be good for us when our power goes out because it is one of Sterling's favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny ~ I was about to say the same thing! I used hot tap water because if I boiled water I then had to add ice so it would cool down enough to eat ~ hot tap water solved that problem, and my kids never knew the difference! However, I love hot oatmeal with boiling water ~ the old fashioned kind though ~ none of this new flavored stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really funny that you both said that. Hillary tried, but I told her it wouldn't work with the power out. I forgot there was some water already heated. She didn't last long with the cold oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete