Monday, December 6, 2010

It's A Wonderful Life

It has been nonstop activity for us the past couple of days, but it would be a very long and tedious process to write about it all.  I do want to keep a record, though because I'm planning on converting my blog to a book at the end of the year.  So, starting with Friday night...


KJ and I attended our college group's Christmas party and had a lot of fun.  We were supposed to wear a tacky Christmas sweater, and we played party games and ate great food.  Of course, I have to give a shout-out to my brother, Judson, who kept the kids so that I could go with KJ to the party.  I wanted to take a picture of he and Ella, but I forgot.  She asked him to wear a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, because she had one (and she frequently sees him wearing one), and she wanted them to wear matching shirts "with the horse on it."  Judson was a good sport and wore his, and I think they had a good time.  Everything went smoothly; however, James did bust his lip after tripping over Judson's boot and falling on the chair.  So there was some blood, but they survived.  Thanks, Judson!


We didn't have any tacky Christmas sweaters, but I bought
some semi-tacky Christmas jewelry for myself and the lovely
shirt for KJ.  

Saturday afternoon the kids and I traveled to my parent's house for a visit so the kids could participate in the singing Christmas tree.  They were asked to stand on stage with my parents while my mom sings with the children's choir.  We had a really great trip home yesterday, and Ella and I went with my dad to Christmas in the Park to see the lights.  My dad has always loved to take Ella, and this year it has been so fun because she remembers all the things we did last year at Christmas.  She specifically asked to go see the lights at the park when we got to B.P.'s house. I'll have to post video of her dancing in the park to Santa Claus is Coming to Town later.


We have been going nonstop all day today.  I dropped James off in the nursery, and Ella also wanted to go to the Sunday School class for her age group.  I was so proud of her confidence going to a new place with people she didn't know and having a good time.  I enjoyed being in my mom's class and reading through Luke 1.  I mentioned before how much I love the beginning of Luke.  It is so beautifully written and told.

Church was oh-so-good this morning.  I sometimes forget how much I love the Christmas season.  I'm so glad that we take a month to really dwell on the incarnation.  Christmas hymns are so rich.  It's so soul-satisfying to meditate on the rich truths of Christ's coming to earth.  Dad is preaching a series of Christmas sermons from Hebrews this year, starting today with chapter one.  "God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world" (Heb.1:1-2).  I think I'm going to put up a link to it when it goes online.  It was such a Christ-centered sermon, really causing me to marvel at the power of God, as Jesus "upholds all things by the word of His power."  

Church was followed by lunch and a busy afternoon preparing for the first performance of the Tree.  Both kids were so sweet and did amazing during their "part."  James especially looked so angelic with the spotlight shining on him.  His eyes shined, he smiled at everyone and waved his arms around to the music.  Ella did a great job, standing still and looking pleasant.  She earned her prizes (new markers, coloring book, and candy).  

I was so thankful tonight for the gift of music and the abilities people have in singing and playing.  Everyone involved in tonight's performance did an amazing job.  I didn't have my big video camera, but hopefully my little Nikon got some good footage.  It was kind of hard to see the kids, so I'm going to try to get a better angle tomorrow night.  All in all, I am so thankful for a great day, for the sweet ladies who took care of James in the nursery and rocked him to sleep this morning, for Ella's bravery and cooperation, for family and old friends, for God's Word, and to Jesus the Christ, for giving us so many reasons to celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed keeping the kids so anytime yall need a date night i believe you can call me. However i broke one rule, after singing jesus loves me and james still wired i took the liberty of singing sweet baby james..How could i not!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet, Judson. I think it's okay for uncles can bend the rules now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the account of your wonderful weekend. I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete