Friday, May 29, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. v

Each Friday I'm sharing five quotes from my reading during the week that stood out enough  to make me stop reading and write them down, or at least take a picture with my phone.  I haven't included a verse from my Bible reading before now, because I wanted to use this weekly post as a place to share quotes making it in my Commonplace Word document, and I don't record scripture there.  But this week I'm including Paul's prayer from Romans 15, because I read it yesterday, and it seemed a fitting anchor of hope in a world of injustice and anger.



"Now may the God who gives endurance and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with one another, according to Christ Jesus, so that you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ with one mind and one voice." 
- Romans 15:5-6


"The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo:  adventures, as I used to call them.  I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of sport, as you might say.  But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind.  Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually--their paths were laid that way, as you put it."
- Samwise Gamgee, The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien


"Well, no need to brood on what tomorrow may bring.  For one thing, tomorrow will be certain to bring worse than today, for many days to come.  And there is nothing more that I can do to help it.  The board is set, and the pieces are moving."
- Gandalf, Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien


"The hasty stroke goes oft astray," said Aragorn.
- The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien


"Winston Churchill, now Prime Minister, has made another broadcast.  It gave us a clear understanding of the gravity of the hour and of his absolute belief in the British people--that we will never surrender.  His news was petrifying but I felt braver for his words."
- To War with Whitaker, Hermione, Countess of Ranfurly

No comments:

Post a Comment