Friday, May 1, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. 1

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail newsletter that referenced a Commonplace Notebook, and though I hadn't been calling it that, I realized I'd started one years ago:  a collection of quotes I've organized by category.  I write down quotes that make me laugh or that I think are true or beautiful.  Here are five quotes that caught my eye this week.




"For who scorns the day of small things?" - Zechariah 4:10a


"But courage, child: we are all between the paws of the true Aslan." - The Last Battle, C.S. Lewis


"The weariest nights, the longest days, sooner or later must perforce come to an end."  - The Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Orczy


Teaching seminary students about preaching, Spurgeon said, "When you speak of heaven, let your face light up with a heavenly gleam.  Let your eyes shine with reflected glory.  And when you speak of hell--well, then your usual face will do."  - Happiness, Randy Alcorn


Six days of work are spent
To make a Sunday quiet
That Sabbath may return.
- from Sabbath Poem V 1980, Wendell Berry

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I am so happy to be reacquainted with this beautiful space that you have been diligently keeping for a decade! What a TREASURE, my dear sister . . . it is good to be back <3
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete