Thursday, April 2, 2020

April Armchair Traveling

Yesterday I spent some time looking at pictures from April 2015 for an Instagram account I started a few years ago.  We've been able to visit so many beautiful places in the past 5 1/2 years, and I liked the idea of having a place to catalog some of those lovely landscapes and details.  Early on I fell into the habit of only posting pictures from the same month of previous years.  I love following the movement of the seasons in pictures.



The first April day I re-visited was a Friday when I think we had a church meeting wrapping up our Easter Holiday Bible Club in North Yorkshire.  K.J. drove with the kids while I took my camera and walked on a public footpath behind the kids' school because I'd caught a glimpse of lambs earlier in the day.  This was our first spring in North Yorkshire, and I was terrified I'd somehow miss lambing season.  The thing about seasons is that they come once a year, and then they're gone.  You have to pay attention in the moment.  I'm happy to report I didn't miss out on frolicking lambs in 2015.



In addition to photographing lambs, I grew slightly obsessed with bees going about their business (beez-iness, bizzzz-iness?) in the spring and summer.  England's moderate climate, and the English genius about gardening means flowers that don't prematurely wither away.  They last so much longer than in Alabama.  I spent a lot of time that first summer watching the bees in the lavender outside my kitchen window while I washed dishes.  



I got this lucky shot experimenting with the macro function on one of my lenses at Newby Hall.  It still brings me a lot of joy.  I also got a lot of joy watching these lambs play follow the leader that day.



Ella took ballet lessons in a small village nearby, and while I usually went back home while she had her lesson, one April day I took a walk instead, exploring a public footpath.  I was captivated to live in a place that had ridings.



But of course the most magical April night of all was when our entire family got to be present for the birth of twin lambs at a local farm. I was over the moon that night.



That seems like a good stopping place for now.  Thanks for coming armchair traveling with me.  It's fun to re-live past Aprils and to look forward to the day we can leave our houses and do some exploring once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment