Friday, October 25, 2013

On the first week back from a trip

In the wee hours of the morning I pondered trying to pull together enough pictures for a Franco Fridays post, but I abandoned the idea.  I hope next week I'll be able to pay more attention to ye olde blog.

We've been home from our trip for exactly one week, and life has been extremely busy; here are some things we've experienced.
  1. Jet Lag  Of my now three European trips, this trip has had the longest recovery time.  On returning I woke up in the wee hours and have been ready for bed by 6 p.m.  I heard somewhere that on average it takes a day for every hour you've lost, so that put this recovery time at 6 days.  That was pretty accurate.
  2. Mommy Night Duty  I think recovering from the time change was magnified by the horrid habit James picked up while we were away of waking us up at least once a night...for no particular reason, just "Rock me and put me back to bed, Mommy?"  This was okay the first few nights, but the last two my thoughts have kept me awake long after I put him back to bed.  I would really like to nip this habit in the bud.
  3. Attack of the Ragweed  Last Friday and Saturday were fairly relaxing days, settling back in and unpacking suitcases.  KJ was home so I went for a walk both days around the neighborhood.  By Sunday night I had drainage in my throat and congestion in my nose.  I've stayed inside most of the week taking medicine in hopes of curtailing the attack, but it has been such gorgeous weather I may just have to bear it and get out there for some Fall pictures.
  4. Teaching  The education of my children takes up more and more time so that if ever Lady Catherine de Burgh were to ask Ella, "Your mother must have been a slave to your education?"  Ella will be able to reply in the affirmative...unlike Elizabeth Bennet.  Home-educating is a lot of work, but I really enjoy it.  I made my first attempt at introducing "-at" words to James because it came up in his curriculum.  He didn't get it.  Yet. :)
  5. Time with People  I have just really enjoyed and appreciated being with friends and other believers...sharing a meal, running into them at Wal-Mart, at the church house... I'm thankful for the Body of Christ.
  6. Painting  No big paint projects, but I did revive an old outside table with white spray paint to place my pumpkin on this week.  I'm pleased with what a fresh coat of paint can do.
  7. Loving Amazon Prime  Free two-day shipping is so nice when you think of something you need, and there's a 3-day deadline.
  8. Reading Jeremiah  After so many days of his proclamations of judgment, it's so good to read words of restoration.  It's also good to read, "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?"
  9. The Generosity of Others  The daughter of a friend has been blessing us with clothes for James for the past two years.  Piles and piles of really good quality clothes.  I just went through a bag last night, and rest assured, you will be seeing James in blazers and corduroy jackets with elbow patches this winter.
  10. A 5 a.m. Fever  James woke us up at 4:15 this morning, and I couldn't go back to sleep.  I got up for a little while, and Ella stumbled out of her room at 5:00 with flushed cheeks and hot skin.  Her temperature was over 100, but after Motrin she woke up at 8:30 fever-free.  We'll see what the rest of the weekend holds.  
P.S.  I'm planning on flu shots next week, because I'm scared silly of getting the flu again.

P.P.S.  More UK pictures should be forthcoming, because...they deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment