Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thank Heaven for Little Girls...AND Little Boys

I was one of the first of my friends to become a mother, and I was thrilled when I learned I was having a girl.  I'm not sure why...maybe because I am one, and I could more easily imagine a baby girl.  Ella was the sweetest, happiest baby imaginable.  Her only fault was not sleeping enough (thereby preventing her mother to sleep) during the first 7 months of her life.  Other than that, she was the most fun.  And when all my friends and family started having their first babies shortly after, they all found out they were having boys, and I always felt secretly sorry for them.  Poor souls...they were missing out on this.

She was a roly-poly, shining-eyed, bundle of joy, and in my mind, no baby boy could possibly be sweeter.  I heard other people talk about the mother-son bond, and I couldn't imagine it.  Would a son bring me my make-up bag when he heard me say, "I need to go to the store."?  Would a son wave at all the passers-by in Wal-Mart and enjoy trips to the library, like my girl did?  I doubted it.

But last night, on a rare trip to Wal-Mart alone with sweet "big boy" James, I remembered again how wrong I was.  He steals my heart with every cuddle, every request for a kiss and a hug; with every, "Mommy, I like you." or "Mommy, I love you," I thank God for adding him to our family.  It wouldn't be the same without him.

James, you're such a silly boy.

You're a silly gell, Mama.

I'm treasuring the moments of being his number 1 girl, "gell" as he likes to say.

    Just two Pughs with the flu
We went through a lot together.

No comments:

Post a Comment