Friday, June 14, 2013

Franco Fridays: Fort Mont-Valerien Memorial

At some point, it might be funny to put something together of all my Eiffel Tower pictures; no matter where we were in the city, I didn't really get tired of saying, "Look!  You can see the Eiffel Tower from here, too!"  #Tourist

We are nearing the end of our walk to the church.  Walking up the hill of this street brought us outside of Fort Mont-Valerien, which the Nazi occupiers used as a prison and a place of execution of Jews and members of the French Resistance.  There is now a memorial there to remember them and their fight.  There were so many opportunities to reflect on and learn about that period of history in France.
In looking up how to spell a name I found this interesting story about a German chaplain who risked his life to help those imprisoned here.  The square in front of the memorial is now called by his name, Square Abbe Franz Stock.



After Parker showed us around the church, we walked down the street to the market to buy some breakfast items for the week.  I enjoyed looking at the similarities and differences in how the food was packaged; there was also the fun challenge of attempting to decipher what all the French words on the packaging meant.  For me, I knew I wanted to find two things for my morning:  caffeine and yogurt.  Mission accomplished.

Aaannd...the mighty baguette, of course.  KJ looks so manly holding it under his arm.

 My French yogurt, which I think essentially cost the same but came in reusable glass containers instead of plastic.  I washed mine and brought them all home to be used for...something.

After getting our bed in order for the night, we retired to our 3rd floor quarters in a Sunday School room, living high on our air mattress.  I was still recovering from an allergy attack at that point and took a Benadryl, clearing up my sinuses and insuring a good night's sleep for the week ahead.  Win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment