Friday, June 12, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. vii

I finished reading through Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy this week, so this is the last of the Tolkien quotes until I tackle The Silmarillion.  It's unlikely my weekly quotes will ever be as consistently beautiful and timely to a world going through hard things without Tolkien, but I'll carry on anyway.  Here are four quotes that caught my eye in my reading this past week and one thing my daughter said that made me laugh.


I did not read these particular books
this week; I'm just happy to have occasion 
to share a picture of my book collection or
someone else's each week in this post.


"Well, dearest friend, the tree grows best in the land of its sires..."
- Aragorn to Frodo, The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien


"All things now went well, with hope always of becoming still better..."
- The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien


"But Orcs and Trolls spoke as they would without love of words or things; and their language was actually more degraded and filthy than I have shown it...Much the same sort of talk can still be heard among the orc-minded; dreary and repetitive with hatred and contempt, too long removed from good to retain even verbal vigour, save in the ears of those to whom only the squalid sounds strong."
- from The Appendices of The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien


"He didn't like books in which dull, cranky writers describe humdrum events in the very humdrum lives of humdrum people.  Reality gave him enough of that kind of thing, why should he read about it?  Besides, he couldn't stand it when a writer tried to convince him of something.  And these humdrum books, it seemed to him, were always trying to do just that.

Bastian liked books that were exciting or funny, or that made him dream.  Books where made-up characters had marvelous adventures, books that made him imagine all sorts of things."
- The Neverending Story, Michael Ende


"The galaxy would be such a nice place if Palpatine didn't exist."
- Ella after watching The Clone Wars one night

No comments:

Post a Comment