Monday, January 14, 2019

What's in Our Suitcases?

The Pugh family has landed in Paris with our eight suitcases and various carry-ons.  One of Noreen's sons was here to help us bring in our luggage, and he couldn't believe what we traveled with.  What do we bring back with us from our home country?


  • Christmas gifts - Going home at Christmas does mean we carry back lots of generous gifts, which this time included boots, books, and board games.  They take up a lot of space and weight.
  • Homeschool Curriculum - James was ready for the next year's Math books, and I picked up several other workbooks for writing, science, coding, and my personal favorite:  juggling.
  • Gifts for friends - baby clothes I couldn't resist for new babies in our midst here; gluten free cake and cookie mixes; candles and books
  • Snacks - I've found that coming back with a supply of our favorite protein bars and Pop Tarts brings a lot of joy and a sense of connection to our home country during the first few weeks we're back in our new home.  This year's offerings included Ortega taco sauce that Ella has acquired a taste for. 
  • Make-up and Toiletries - I stock up on our favorite deodorant and toothpaste.  I buy face wash and lotion that I can read the back of in my own language.  I buy my favorite razors as well as any new product I want to try that I can't find outside of the U.S. 
But honestly, between the four of us, this time around our weight and space was mostly taken up with books and board games.  


If you have friends who live outside their home countries, maybe this could spark ideas of what to send them.  Having small things from home around gives me an extra sense of well-being and contentment.  And the fun thing is that this begins to work the other way, too.  When I found Wensleydale cheese with cranberries at a supermarket in Alabama, made in Hawes--a place we visited several times--I got a great surge of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment