Wednesday, September 5, 2018

In the Mom Haze

I'm in the mom-haze this morning, that haze that comes upon all mothers in certain seasons when your main occupation is taking care of a child or children at home and your days and nights are confused by missing sleep in the night and trying to recover the lost sleep during the day with a nap.  In other words, I have a sick child.  And I've never been very good at taking naps.  


It's been a very out of the normal routine sort of week, as I'm sure it has been for everyone who was off work on Monday for Labor Day.  The day off is always nice, but you spend the rest of the week wondering what day it is.  (I just got through thinking today was Monday.) We took Labor Day off school after a busy birthday weekend and because James was running a fever.  We watched The Fellowship of the Ring, and it felt like being reunited with old friends.  K.J. and I used to watch those movies constantly when we were first married, and it was so fun to have our kids finally old enough to watch. 

I feel compelled to say that this picture was from last week.
They're not sharing a bowl of popcorn while James has a virus.

I was up between 3-4 a.m. with James Tuesday morning, and I was awakened at 5:30 this morning by him going downstairs.  I desperately wanted to go back to sleep, but I figured if he was up his fever had probably gone up again and I better check on him.  It had, and I did.  I put him back to bed at 6:30, but by that point K.J. was getting up to get ready to go into the city, and it's that awkward time of deciding whether to try to go back to sleep and just risk being frustrated that you can't or make your coffee and enjoy the quiet before your kids wake up again.  

I chose the coffee and quiet and made myself a version of a Pumpkin Spice Latte using this extract I bought on a trip back to Alabama.  Along with the extract I added a packet of Stevia, some vanilla extract, a splash of cream, and some milk, and it was not too shabby.

Since James was not really able to do school work yesterday I gave Ella a book report assignment.  In talking about what she should include I felt an itch to write a book report myself.  It's been awhile.  I miss writing assignments.  Sometimes I give them to myself.


Here's to Wednesday, even if we're not firing on all four cylinders.  


Maybe second breakfast will help. 


2 comments:

  1. This whole post made me laugh out loud. Love you. PS. I will write a book report with you. What should I include?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Ella's including genre and a plot summary, maybe some themes and character development? ;)

      Delete