Friday, September 16, 2016

Friday Recapitulation

Sitting here sipping a latte listening to the rain on the conservatory roof, it's hard to believe that one week ago we were experiencing a hot day in Orlando, Florida.  Maybe a good reminder that day happened is I'm enjoying the Starbucks Caramel Latte from a mix I bought last week.

Florida sunshine, cold brew coffee, and an Amazon package
Could life be better?

We had so much fun with KJ's cousin Jamie and his family.  Sometimes the most fun is the least documented, but we tried to snap pictures here and there.  Last Friday Ella had a birthday trip to the American Girl store in Orlando, and she brought home a new doll to join the family.  Amelia (Amy for short) made the trans-Atlantic flight with no trouble.


Last Friday we ate Chick-Fil-A in the car during a brief Florida rain shower, the boys went to the LEGO store at Disney Springs, and we had our first experience at Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  It was a delicious experience.


As we've been settling back in to life in North Yorkshire I remembered another reverse culture shock moment having to do with driving.  I've obviously become accustomed to narrow, winding roads hemmed in by hedges because the first day we were back in Alabama I felt really nervous and out of control driving to my parents' house with all the open expanse on either side of the road.  It felt like driving one of those arcade racing games where you go flying off the track when you take the curves. Thankfully I stayed on the road, but I didn't realize how safe and protected the hedges make me feel.

There are so many things to be thankful for this week:

  • safe travel for us and our 8 suitcases
  • a warm welcome from friends and church family
  • sunshine and warm temperatures easing us back into English weather
  • a house cleaned by a friend for us
  • sleep
  • good days going back to school for the kids

As for me, after a busy week getting settled and recovering from jet lag, I'm happy to be in my own home with the rain pouring down.  Just so long as it stops in time for school pick-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment