Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Back to School

After what seems like the shortest summer ever, we started back to school last week.  I think teaching the kids at home has made me feel less conscious of what "grade" the kids are in, so it gives me a strange feeling to think that Ella is in Third Grade.  I remember Third Grade as being the turning point when tests got hard.  My teacher's name was Mrs. Tinker, and I got in trouble for screaming aloud when we were watching a video of some animal (maybe a dog?) being born.  The thing was, it was obviously a completely visceral reaction because I didn't even remember doing it.  We also did a Disney play that year, and I was chosen to be one of three or four "Cinderella's" and had to dance with a boy named Jonathan in my class.  I was mortified and didn't want to do it at all.  I get knots in my stomach doing anything in front of people, much less dancing with a boy

Maybe third grade will hold less traumatic memories for Ella.


I just realized how very "like" me Ella sounds.  Picking a "favorite" book or movie is impossible to me, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I never really did.  I'm not really trying to put a grade classification on James at the moment.  He's not technically old enough for Kindergarten, but he is learning Kindergarten concepts, mainly reading and writing.

James has a face for every occasion these days; he said this was his "Back to School" face.  

I wanted to start the day with a walk around the neighborhood, but when I mentioned walking James wanted to walk to get ice cream.  Thus a new plan for the afternoon was born, and Ella decided she needed to finish her summer reading goal that day, and she graciously read James the remainder of his summer reading goal, which brought Ella up to reading 67 books this summer.  I'm so proud of that girl.  Also, I still wish I lived in a world where it was possible for me to read 67 books in a summer.

I love our public library.  They have the best programs and the best staff.  After picking up their certificates and prizes we decided to reverse the order of things a bit and eat ice cream then walk.  Ice cream should always be first, right?

Everybody say, "Back to School!"

These record July lows make being outside so pleasant, and I'm so thankful for them.

So I'm back in the teaching saddle again, answering questions like "Why do we have to go to school anyway?"  Depending on my mood this question might be answered with, "Because it's the law and if you don't go to school somewhere your parents will go to jail."  Yesterday I was being a bit more patient and came up with, "So you can learn things and be creative and get a job and do great things, teach other people, etc." Oh, boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment