Friday, June 6, 2014

Franco Fridays: Chateau de Sarceaux

I may have mentioned before that KJ enjoys planning things, and in the past year he's really enjoyed pouring over Google maps and making plans for trips.  He's especially kind to enjoy planning our route around things he thinks will make me happy, and the third night of our Normandy adventure he hit it out of the park.

He's become quite adept at finding places with ambiance, don't you think?  Over the past few years KJ moved away from finding the cheapest acceptable accommodations to being willing to pay for an experience now and again.  I don't think I'm going to complain.

I couldn't believe my eyes.  We were greeted by the Marquess herself who showed us our private salon and then led us up to our room where she threw open a window, and I really felt like I'd stepped into a novel.


Horror of horrors we had stopped on our drive to grab some McDonald's for dinner because, you know, we'd ate really well the night before.  

Trying to order in a provincial McDonald's in France resulted in a lot of confusion, an overabundance of food, and spending more money at McDonald's than we ever have in our lives.



I think we had about 3 large fries as well.  They didn't speak much English, and we don't speak much French.  There was no way we were going to try to correct the mistakes, so needless to say, we felt like a walk when we arrived at the chateau.

I couldn't say enough lovely things about the Marquess, who while we were walking had graciously made us an apple dessert, which we ate on the gravel sweep in front of the house while throwing tennis balls to their dog, who of course, only understood French. The Marquess was so kind and told us she thought of us like her own children. 

 The feeling of having stepped into the pages of a historical novel persisted the following morning.

Could it have been more perfect?  I wish I had time this morning for pictures of my walk-through the Chateau, but we've got a 4-hour road-trip for a wedding ahead of us today, and they'll have to wait.  Until then, for more pictures of our picture-perfect breakfast, here's the post I wrote from the road in France.

There's only three more days left of our anniversary trip in France to cover.  We have a team heading over with us for another mission trip with Emmanuel Baptist Church in Paris in just 2 weeks, so Franco Fridays might be around for a little while longer.

We'll be doing a teaching conference at the church as well as a lot of evangelistic endeavors, and we are praying God will open up doors for the gospel as He was so gracious to do last year.


See you soon, Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment