Saturday, February 22, 2014

Even a Cup of Cold Water

There are moments when I am awe-struck at the kindness of the Lord, when I am reminded that the God of all the universe really is "the God who sees."  

Last week I was reminded of how much it serves my children and my entire household when I am disciplined about planning our days; I was inspired to be more focused and intentional about when teaching and schoolwork happen.  I think my extra-intentionality did make our week better, but yesterday I was discouraged and battling the feelings of, "Is all this worth it?  Who even cares about what I am doing?  Are all of my efforts in vain?"  At that point it was time to begin the day's lessons, which always begin with reading the Bible.  There are daily readings embedded in our curriculum, and we usually read several verses, but yesterday there was just one verse listed to read.  Matthew 10:42, just one sentence.

And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

Oh, the relief that flooded my soul.  Why, yes, it does matter.  There is Someone who sees every little thing done in faith for Jesus.  It all matters, even the simplest of acts, a cup of cold water served up for the 10th time that day.  All the desires to do good for Jesus' sake all matter, and He sees them.  What is even more amazing is that He rewards them.

I would be lying if I said the rest of the day went by without another moment of doubt, but those words of Jesus--so timely--helped me press on and fight the good fight of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment