Monday, December 30, 2013

A Few Days Before Christmas

My parents moved in September, and this was our first Christmas at their new home.  One of my brothers-in-law asked if it was different or strange being in a new place this year, and you know, it really didn't feel that way at all.  The best part of holidays is having everyone together.  This May I will have been married 10 years, so it has been a long time since I've lived with my family, but it doesn't take long to feel at home in a place when you have the familiar people, familiar relationships, old jokes, and old traditions.  As long as we were still pouring tea out of the Santa pitcher, it was Christmas, right?

We all gathered last Sunday afternoon and attended church together Sunday night.  Afterwards we enjoyed hot soup and Christmas pajamas. How adorable are these boys?




James got to open the first present on Christmas morning.  He knew where all of his were since he'd spent time locating them the night before.

He was so excited to get his remote control car.  "It's just what I always wanted!"


I don't think Pack knew what to do with all of the excitement.

There were new books and movies, puzzles, cars, and games.  James is going to get a lot of use out of that Game Boy from the 90s.

I'm so thankful for all the lavishing on my children; they'll enjoy the fun for a long time.  My brother, Jesse, made James this amazing wooden sword and shield.  I love it.

The rest of the day was pretty quiet.  The boys went skeet-shooting in the afternoon, and we stayed cozy and warm as the cold air blew in that night.  It was really nice.  There's something really cozy about a fire and the smell of wood smoke on your clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment