Saturday, November 14, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. xxv

 

Sitting Room at James Herriot's House
Thirsk, North Yorkshire

I'm adding to my commonplace book this week two more quotes from my slow re-read of A Gentleman in Moscow and some quotes that came out of E's reading assignments.  This Roman jurisprudence law made me laugh out loud, and reading Shakespeare made me marvel at how one man introduced so many phrases to the English-speaking world.  It's enough to make me want to investigate those conspiracy theories about him not really being the author of all we attribute to him...but methinks there are too many conspiracy theories afloat these days.


"After all, isn't that why the pages of books are numbered?  To facilitate the finding of one's place after a reasonable interruption?"
- A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles


"For there is nothing more essential to the enjoyment of a civilized lunch than to have a lively topic of conversation."
- A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles


"He whose witness has failed to appear may summon him by loud calls before his house every third day."
- from the Roman Twelve Tables of Law


"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, 
But in ourselves..."
-  Cassius, Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare


"...it was Greek to me."
- Casca in Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment