Friday, August 17, 2018

Friday Favorites, vol. xii

1.  Back to School

We started school on Monday, and it was a little jarring.  The first day was long, and I was tired at the end of it, but it only took a couple of days for the routine to feel nice again.  Summer freedom is good.  A little back-to-school structure is good, too.


2.  The effects of making a plan

I prepared for this week's school work a little more than my end-of-school self had.  I made all the copies ahead of time and came up with a schedule for the day.  My brain really doesn't like planning ahead.  I like to "see what comes next" and let things "happen naturally."  But I pushed through the brain ache to make plans, and I felt so much more peaceful teaching this week as a result.  I guess I know what I need to do tomorrow.

3.  Having friends over

We finally have a working oven and stove, so we inaugurated them both this week by frying chicken and baking a cake.  It's been fun to enjoy our new little home with friends.


4.  Reading Aloud

When I was in middle school I thought it would be a great idea to record myself reading Gone with the Wind.  Because I just love reading aloud that much.  Now I have little people forced to listen to me, and it's great.  We finished Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this week and started this adaptation of Canterbury Tales.  Both have brought a lot of laughter.


Fleming's description of a backed up motorway because the weather was nice and everyone decided to go to the seaside made us laugh because I think that's pretty much the way it still is in England when the sun shines.

5.  James having a dog to play with

We're dog-sitting again this week, and Polly LOVES James.  She follows him from room to room in the house wherever he goes, and when we got the leash out to try taking her on a walk?  She lost her mind.  She loved it so much.  And I love watching him run around the garden with a stick, Polly at his heels.


"Never say 'No' to adventures.
Always say 'Yes', otherwise you'll
always lead a very dull life."
- Caractacus Pott, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - 

2 comments:

  1. I just love your happy little blog! And I didn't realize that delicious cake was from Pioneer Woman. I checked out one of her cookbooks from the American library a few weeks ago. I'm hoping to go to her restaurant when we're back in OK this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind. :) And how fun! The store looks so fun, and that food will be so good and so homey!

      Delete