Wednesday, August 29, 2018

An Evening on Sutton Bank

I've been slowly sorting through pictures from 2017 for a family yearbook I'm making, and I loved these from a beautiful August night last year.


Summer days are long in North Yorkshire, and sun shining always feels special, so one night after dinner we decided to seize the golden hour and drive up to the top of Sutton Bank for the view James Herriot called, "the finest in England."


You can see for miles and miles from this vantage point.  I love the late-summer fields ready for harvest and all the wildflowers and heather.


The path wends its way along the top of the bank above the Kilburn White Horse.  It's a landmark hard to find when first pointed out to you from a distance but impossible not to see once you know what you're looking for.


I love having my family for scale in this picture.  It helps capture the vastness of all the open space around you.  But you can't help but notice the small things, too.


My boys tried to pinch a little heather for me to take home, but that proved harder than expected.


It came up roots and all, which feels like it's probably a violation of national park rules.


I took the most up-close picture I ever got of the white horse as we drove down the bank toward home, but I loved this last one best with the sign and the little house with the white horse in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment