Thursday, August 31, 2017

August

It's the end of another month, and I always like to look back at all the daily happenings, small and big alike, before moving on to a new month and a new season.  The month of August means summer holidays in England, and this year that included a more than expected share of sunny days, afternoon outings and evening walks, and vacation in Scotland. 

I always feel so grateful for having such a good little camera phone in my pocket, because like it or not memories do fade, and the picture helps me remember the moments I would otherwise forget.  Some of my most vivid memories in childhood are the ones recorded in the family photo album.  I loved looking through those hefty volumes with the pictures safe behind their sticky plastic covering!  I'm glad my dad took lots of pictures.  

As we were filming a bit with our phones in Scotland last week K.J. recalled his mom with her giant camcorder on her shoulder, "recording our lives before it was cool."  I'm glad we get to be another generation of memory-keepers for our family.

August 1 - Shoe-shopping in the city requires a Starbucks stop, of course.



August 2 - I made some impromptu s'mores in the oven for the kids in our Wednesday night church gathering clamoring for dessert (or pudding as they say here).


August 3 - We were invited to an outdoor pizza-making party in the loveliest of back gardens.


August 4 - Solving puzzles for the summer reading challenge at the library


August 5 - a pineapple jalapeno salsa that was SO good


August 7 - Monday mornings in the holidays mean time for pancakes.


August 8 - Two Little Writers


August 9 - Super-Fun Charity Shop Find (1 Pound!)


August 10 - Little Family in a Big World, an after-dinner walk


August 11 - Family Bike Ride in the Rain 


August 12 - Game Night


August 13 - Hide-and-Seek amongst the Ruins with Friends


August 14 - James has been bringing me wildflowers all summer from walks he goes on with K.J.  This is a snapdragon.


August 15 - Autumn is coming.


August 16 - The days really have been overwhelmingly sunny this month!


August 17 - We found Ella some new socks.


August 19 - Speaking of memory-keeping, the kids love watching their annual birthday videos from years past, especially after making an international move.


August 20 - Morning Light


August 21 - Packing her doll's backpack for vacation


August 22 - Traveling North


August 23 - The prettiest apples growing beside our holiday cottage


August 24 - The most quiet and beautiful sunshiny wood


August 25 - We're all missing this view.


August 26 - I rubbed Skin So Soft all over my face to repel the midges and cycled down a quiet road on the Isle of Skye.  


August 27 - I was feeling all the romance of the Bonnie Prince Charlie story and Scottish patriotism.


August 28 - This is what it looks like when James asks K.J. if they can go on a walk.


August 30 - Raindrops


August 31 - I don't have a picture of it, but today you can imagine me in front of my computer, resting my foot and putting together a birthday video for my daughter's 11th birthday.  Here's last years:

No comments:

Post a Comment