Friday, November 18, 2016

An August Day and Night

At the top of my thankful list this year is that we were able to spend time with all of our grandparents this summer.  We made the most of every moment we could with people dear to our hearts.


This was a late summer afternoon in my grandmother's front yard where there was always a Thanksgiving day game of football on the perfectly flat lawn when I was growing up.  Rumbling thunder in the distance made us stop and listen because it's a rare thing to have thunder in England, especially the continuous kind common to an Alabama summer.


We're still trying to wrap our minds around the fact that KJ broke his ankle while we were home.  It seems like a crazy dream.  We visited my grandmother about a month before her 93rd birthday.  That number of years feels like a badge of honor, especially when you still look so beautiful.  


We ended this day by driving to my brother and sister-in-law's house for the perfect end to a hot summer day with grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and a campfire.  But first, coffee.  Coffee in the only kind of mug I'd expect to drink out of at my brother's house.  I love the Murphy homestead.


I feel like the boy needs a dog, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the responsibility.


Ella and Aunt Sandy made cookies and collected an egg from one of the girls while James helped Uncle Jesse gather sticks.

 

The s'mores were perfection.


We had a late-night viewing of Savage Sam, the sequel to Old Yeller, which I highly recommend.  It was one of our favorite movies when we were kids.  It's so much fun, and spoiler, the dog doesn't die in this one, so it's a win!  Old Yeller is just painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment