Friday, March 13, 2015

Franco Fridays: Sunset on the Seine

I know it's been awhile since my last post about last summer's trip to Paris, so a continuous story is hard to follow, but if Audrey Hepburn was right when she said, "Paris is always a good idea," then perhaps it's also true that pictures of Paris are always a good idea, too.  These were taken after we met with the Punjabi church and came back into the city.  One of my favorite things that made me laugh both times we've visited is hearing Parker refer to going into Paris as "going to town."  It always conjures up images of Pa Ingalls hitching up the horses to the wagon.





And you know, it just doesn't look like the sort of place horses and a wagon belong.
 

It really has been such a privilege to get to know and love this city just a little bit and to meet Christians there who desire to see more people come to know Jesus.  And even though it hurts my heart to see them leave Boroughbridge, I'm glad that with sending the de la Hoyde family we'll continue our connection with this lovely place. 
 
Speaking of lovely place...it always blows my mind that with all the beautiful architecture, even the beautiful sunset taking place over the Seine, crowds of people gather around to watch a man jump over a pole on skates.  I mean, it's pretty cool and all, but I just don't get it.  I only stopped and took pictures because my husband did.  I'm gonna put the blame on him.
 


I was able to stand at the center of the old Paris this time.  There was too long of a line to attempt it last year.
 



The city at night really is the loveliest thing.  Since we were so close to The Louvre we walked around a bit before catching the bus.  Parker gave us a little history lesson about the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre of the Huguenots.
 


The massacre of French Protestants took place in the courtyard you can see through the gate.
 



 
That seems a very somber note for a post ending, but that was the end of the night for us.
 
Here's a picture of my French breakfast the next morning to make us all feel better.
 

I had three different types of bread, because that's how they do it in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment