Monday, March 30, 2015

Do you remember?

"Let's talk about what we've done each year on Valentine's Day."

"Let's remember all of our anniversaries."

These are the beginnings of a lot of conversations I have with my husband, and he always groans, because while he may remember dialogue from a movie or book almost perfectly after one viewing or reading, he is horrible at games like these.  And if I'm able to tell him what I was wearing during these occasions?  He becomes even more flummoxed because he would never store such frivolous information in his brain. 

When a significant date rolls around I always tend to reach as far back as my memory can manage and try to remember what I was doing in previous years.  Easter holds a lot of memories for me.  My first posts on this blog were about every Easter in the history of my familyAs we're coming up on our first Easter in England and thinking about making new memories I couldn't help but think about Easters past.  At first I was just remembering the kids being smaller, but then as long as I was remembering...

2005:  Our first married Easter
 
I don't have a 2006 picture on my computer, but I was pregnant with Ella, and I do remember what I was wearing.
 
2007:  Easter in Kentucky, the coldest Easter we've ever had
 
Easter 2008 there is no family picture because I had just had my second knee surgery and was home resting.  I can't remember now if KJ took Ella to church by himself or she stayed home with me, but I do remember my dad drove to Kentucky to buy her an Easter bonnet.
 

2009:  First Easter in Tuscaloosa, pregnant with James
 

2010:  James's first sinus infection
 
2011:  when James had to be double-bibbed
and wore little bells on his shoes
 
and James sneered at the camera because we had just woken him
from a nap
 
2013:  the year I should have bought KJ an Easter hat too
 
2014:  the year of the bowtie
 

More important than how much we've changed or what new spring garments we donned on Easter Sunday, on the ordinary days I need to remember the feeling of triumph on Easter Sunday, the joyful reminder that Christ has conquered death and the grave, and as we hope in Him we have nothing more to fear. Charles Wesley penned the best words on the subject.
 
Love's redeeming work is done,
fought the fight the battle won...
 
Death in vain forbids him rise,
Christ hath opened paradise...
 
Once he died our souls to save,
Where thy victory, O grave?
 
Made like Him, like Him we rise,
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!



1 comment:

  1. Amen!! And what precious pictures, sweet Lynn, that stoked a spectrum of emotions in my heart. What treasures - these photos, you people . . . Claire loved looking at them alongside me. We also enjoyed the tour of your lovely home below, wishing for the day we can visit in person. Claire said she wishes for that, too.

    ReplyDelete