Friday, October 9, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. xx

  

Vintage Christie's in Hay-on-Wye, Wales

I've been missing sharing each week's compiled quotes lately.  The past two Fridays have been busy and full.  Today was pretty full, too, but my husband is still working downstairs (recording this week's sermon), so I figured I could write a blog post at 10 p.m.

This week I begin with a sentence that made me laugh, and I end with the thesis statement of a book I started today, which may be strange, but...I liked his thesis statement.

Happy reading.


"W.T. was seated in the far corner of the room looking offensively English, with a litter of tea-things on the table before him."
- The White Cottage Mystery, Margery Allingham


"The clang of the closing door came to Sue's ears as she dabbed at her eyes with the tiny fragment of lace which she called a handkerchief.  She was relieved that he had gone.  There are moments when a girl must be alone to wrestle single-handed with her own particular devils."
- Heavy Weather, P.G. Wodehouse


"...God often does not work with the most qualified, but with the most available."
- Own Your Life, Sally Clarkson


"Middle-earth," by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world we live in."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, quoted in A Hobbit Journey by Matthew Dickerson


"The central question this book addresses is, What can we learn from hobbits and from their vision of the Good Life, and how does that apply to our own present situation?  In particular, we will look at the hobbitish pursuit and practice of peace, even in the midst of a world at war."
- A Hobbit Journey, Matthew Dickerson

No comments:

Post a Comment