Friday, July 24, 2020

Five Quotes, vol. xii

Second-Hand Book Market in Lucca, Italy


Today's quotes are very G.K. Chesterton-heavy.  He's a very clever and quotable writer, after all.   I've been reading a lot this week, taking advantage of breezy sunny weather in our newly-acquired hammock.  It's almost time to start making schedules for the new school year, so I really wanted to enjoy the feeling of summer vacation.  I'm happy to report I managed it this week.

"A man writes much better than he lives." 
- Samuel Johnson, quoted in Footnotes:  A Journey Round Britain in the Company of Great Writers by Peter Fiennes


"The important thing about France and England is not that they have Roman remains.  They are Roman remains."
- A Short History of England, G.K. Chesterton


"It is sometimes valuable to have enough imagination to unlearn as well as to learn."
- A Short History of England, G.K. Chesterton


"If a man has a right to vote, has he not a right to vote wrong?  If a man has a right to choose his wife, has he not a right to choose wrong?  I have a right to express the opinion which I am now setting down; but I should hesitate to make the controversial claim that this proves the opinion to be right."
- A Short History of England, G.K. Chesterton


"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder."
- A Short History of England, G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment