Monday, August 19, 2013

Quotes by Wodehouse, Tony Blair, and the Triumph of Christ

Have you ever read P.G. Wodehouse?  I first heard his name a couple of years ago from a girl in our church (Hi, Kim!), but it took me a while to pick up something of his and read it since I like to read books in order, and there are so many of his to choose from I didn't know where to start.  Finally, I just started randomly, and oh, my goodness.  He was such a comic genius.  His use of the English language and metaphor and simile, and the outrageous characters he creates are one of a kind.  

This past week the same thing occurred as the first time I picked up a book by Wodehouse.  "I'm just gonna read this book...Oh, my goodness, KJ, this is hilarious.  Let me just read you a few pages...Never mind, now I'm stuck reading this whole book aloud to you."

Most of my quotes from last week's reading come from Wodehouse, and now you know why.  Though I'm not sure how funny they are out of context of the story and characters.  These are all from Galahad at Blandings.

"Lady Hermione did not strike her brother with a bludgeon, but this was simply because she had no bludgeon."  

"He was amiable and on the whole fond of his fellow men, but he preferred them when they remained aloof.  It disturbed him when they came surging into his demesne, especially when their unions had been blessed and they brought their children with them."

" 'You had better begin practising being the ideal hostess without delay, for both Sam and I have high standards and you mustn't fall short of them,' said Gally, and feeling that this was about as telling an exit line as could be found on the spur of the moment he replaced his cue in the rack and left the room.' "

I found this quote by former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, this week:

"...I envy those who've never read him before - the prospect of reams of unread Wodehouse stretching out in front of you is, to long-standing admirers and readers like me and millions of others, something which is enticing to contemplate."

We studied this passage at church Wednesday night, and I was reminded of what an encouragement it was to KJ and I when we were in the early stages of our relationship:
"But thanks be to God, who always leads 
us in triumph in Christ, and manifests 
through us the sweet aroma of the 
knowledge of Him in 
every place.  
- 2 Corinthians 2:14 -

When I was in college and working as a cashier at Wal-Mart, I would always think of Scripture references when I saw certain combinations of numbers come up on the screen as people's change.  Whenever I saw $6.33 for instance, I always thought of Matthew 6:33, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  And whenever anyone got $2.14 back, I always thought of 2 Corinthians 2:14, and it made me feel confident and glad.  God is leading me in triumph in Christ.  Always.  That is good news as you walk through your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment