Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why the James Stewart Picture?

For all those who are wondering where the quote at the top of my blog came from, and why is there a picture of James Stewart or even, "Who is that guy in the black & white picture," here is an explanation.

If you don't recognize the man in the picture, then you may not even have seen "It's A Wonderful Life," and you definitely have some catching up to do. Jimmy Stewart starred in a wonderful movie version of the play, "Harvey." It is about a man who has a 6 foot white rabbit for a friend named Harvey. No one else can see this rabbit (except his sister on some occasions.) Elwood's (Stewart's character) older sister and niece live with him and are of course embarrassed by his seeming insanity and throughout the movie attempt to put him in an asylum. But Elwood is perfectly happy and oblivious throughout the whole thing, seeing the best in everyone and making friends everywhere he goes (including "those nasty bars"). It is a must-see movie for entertainment guaranteed to make you smile and determine to "just be pleasant." Below are some of my favorite quotes. If you appreciate witty old movies, you should definitely check out this one!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

"Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, 'We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella.' Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments."

"I'd just put Ed Hickey into a taxi. Ed had been mixing his rye with his gin, and I just felt that he needed conveying."

"I think the world and all of Ed, but he was spiffed."

Mailman: Beautiful day...
Elwood P. Dowd: Oh, every day is a beautiful day.

"Here, let me give you one of my cards."

Incidentally, the book Jimmy Stewart is reading in the picture is, "Sense & Sensibility" by Jane Austen.

To buy "Harvey," click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment